Max Bill was the first director of the Ulm Design Stool which was the successor to the Bauhaus in postwar Germany. With his colleague Hans Gugelot, Bill designed this stool for use in the school and it was made by the students in wood shop. It is both light and robust and very multi-functional. It can be used as a stool, end table, side table, put side-by-side for a coffee table, or stacked as bookshelves.
"Beauty of function" and "beauty as function" were two important themes to Max Bill (1908-1994), especially evident in this collection of furniture characterized by clarity of design, simplicity, logic and economical use of materials. Max Bill studied at the Bauhaus in 1927-28 under the tutelage of Albers, Moholy-Nagy, Klee and Kandinsky. His interest in industrial design grew with the economic boom after the war, and in the importance of the appearance of things, an influence which came from the impressive talent from America. This collection is produced by WB Form, the distributor arm of the furniture store Wohnbedarf for which Max Bill designed most of these pieces. Made in Germany and Switzerland.